Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The 4th of July when I was young

One of my favorite holidays is the 4th of July.  Always had been.  I love it.  Summertime, grilling, home made ice cream, family, friends, and fireworks.  That's what I always remember from times past growing up.

My earliest memories as a child on the 4th of July are such happy memories.  All of my family would come out to Grandma and Grandpa's place.  Gram would make some of her amazing home made side dishes for the grilling, and let me tell ya they are all mouth watering just thinking about it.  Lol.  Grandpa would get out the old ice cream maker, and get to crankin on that thing.  Him and Gram were the best team at home made ice cream.  I miss those days.  Me and my brother, well I would find the ant hills, and he would light the blackcats.  Lol.  We blew up every any hill on that hill out at Grams.  Lol.  I miss those days too.  Them we would hop on the four wheeler and hawl booty on all that red dirt.  Everyone always always had a great time on the 4th.  Lots of memories made. 

Oh, and did I mention watermelon.  We always had what seemed to be the hugest melon I had ever seen. 

This 4th is definitely a little different, as was the last.  It's a little bit trickier with three little rascals to watch, but that doesn't mean I won't take them to see some fireworks, or hang with my family.  I think they would really like to see fireworks as wild as they are.  They are my little firecrackers.  Anywho, with all that said I'm hoping I can persuade my Uncle Roger and Gram to make some home made ice cream.  :) 

God Bless America from this Okie chic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment