Thursday, July 3, 2014

The story behind the ride

So I get asked all the time, "what made you start road biking, and how did you get to the point where you are now?"  Well, there is a lot to it, and I decided to share it all.  Here goes the story.

First y'all should know that anytime I get physically hurt, and have to rehab my body I always do what the doctor says to do, and then some.  In 1999 I broke my back in three spots, and I was devastated.  First thing I thought, way back then, was I won't be able to have children without a lot of pain.  But, I did and without any pain in pregnancy or delivery.  Trick, do what your told plus some.  Two years after my injury in '99 I went in for my usual check up, and they did an MRI 9 months after the last one.  My doctor was in shock.  My back had healed completely, and the disc that were injured as well were in great shape.  It was something somewhat unexplainable.  He said, "now Tiffany I know you do exactly what I write down each week, but what else have you been doing?"  My response was, "I do what you have me do in my workout times ten."  Go above and beyond.  The reason I did was because I always dreamed of becoming a mother, and I didn't want that ruined because of my health.  It wasn't, and I am thankful for that.  So that is part of this story...just keep in mind I don't let anything hold me back. :) 

Back when I was about 29 weeks pregnant with the triplets I had some friends over, and her two year old was sitting in a chair, eating a snack at the kitchen table.  She started to fall head first, and my first (motherly) response was jump and run.  Well, as I started to catch her I tripped on the carpet/tile change over.  I know, gosh that frustrated me.  I couldn't believe I actually tripped and fell.  But, being big and pregnant your equilibrium is way off.  You are top heavy.  My babies lives flashed in front of me, and I landed right on my knees as I caught the little girl.  My stomach was safe.  Only touched the corner of the chair, and thankfully they all checked out safely at the hospital.  

So, that fall, injured my knee pretty bad.  I cracked my cartilage, and tore the tendon on the side of my knee.  I knew something was wrong for a long time, but ignored it until the babies were born and good at home.  When I went in to my ortho doc he did an MRI, and it showed all the damage.  I. Was. Bummed.  I knew surgery was inevable with the cartilage being cracked, but had no idea how I would have time to rehab with three new additions to my motherhood journey.  Having four kids is a busy job.  But, once I decided to go through with the surgery I discussed in detail with my doctor about what exercise I had been doing post pregnancy.  I told him I road when I could, and it didn't bother my knee.  He said that was exactly what he was going to prescribe me to do.  :) He told me I would need to ride a certain amount each day, and for a certain amount of time to rehab after surgery.  He knew I didn't have time to go to actual physical therapy, and to him biking is the best knee rehab out there.  I have to agree.  It's gentle, and a you can progress at your own pace.  But, I couldn't just jump right to it.  I had my hands full with 7 month old triplets at the time of my surgery, and knee surgery is a very tricky thing.  It takes time to get to a point where you even feel flexible in the knee again, and for all the swelling to stop.  Mine stopped at about a month post op. So I gradually started riding, and gradually increased my workouts.  I started falling in love with the road, and more with the feel of being a roadie.  

The other reason I love road biking is this.  As I looked at myself after having the triplets I was sad.  I couldn't believe the woman in the mirror went through so much growing three babies inside her.  It changed me mentally and physically.  So that pushed me to keep going and keep going.  Get back to the woman in the mirror that I use to see.  Well, that doesn't always happen, but I look in the mirror now and I am proud of my progress.  I'm also happy, cause riding makes me feel really good.  Also, being a stay at home mom to four boys under five is a tough job, and I truly believe all moms need to feel good after all their hard work.  This is my "freedom" outlet.  But it is also my "getting fit in my thirties" outlet too.  :) I found out once you hit thirty your entire workout has to change.  You have to work harder, and be a lot more dedicated.  

Here I am at 33, a roadie chic that just wants to keep riding and riding.  I love it. I was determined when I started pushing myself into riding, and I'm even more determined now.  I'm always trying to increase my miles, and find better ways to move with my bike better.  Finding more effective ways to ride is a goal I continually have.  

So that's the story behind the ride.  Everyone has a story, and I want to say this.  Find your story, and...have FUN, get FIT, and feel the FREEDOM.  ;)

Road the good ole Kona to grams this morning.  She didn't know I was riding there.  And....

And bam I got there right in time for homemade biscuits and gravy.  I love my Gram so much.  We enjoyed the morning, ate breakfast on the patio, and just talked.  It was perfect.  

Okie out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment